Thursday, June 25, 2015

Matt's Top 5 Motorcycle Scenes from the Cinema!

Hi there again, this is Matt Gardner, founder of Long Ride Shields.

Many People don't know this about me but during college I Majored in Film, and to this day the movies are one of my favorite aspects of this life on earth! One of my favorite types of chase scenes is the Motorcycle Chase. Most chase scenes have some commonality in that there is usually good guy vs bad guy, or the opportunistic escaping protagonist taking advantage of the readily available motorcycle that just so happens to have the keys in it or the engine running, but what makes the motorcycle chase better than a car chase is the fact that you can squeeze the bike into places that a car wont go, or jump over things the adversary will simply crash into. Being an avid motorcyclist and a lover of films I wanted to share with you some of my favorites.

This all began a few nights ago while I was revisiting some silent films I loved during school and discovered a motorcycle scene that had been shot without many studio effects in full live action and it absolutely blew my mind away. It was from Buster Keaton's - Sherlock Jr. (1924) - I remember seing the same type of bike at the Harley Davidson Museum in Milwaukee and it dawned on me that this might be the first ever motorcycle chase scene filmed for entertainment.

I have decided to include it in this weeks list of the Top 5 motorcycle scenes of all time (According to me)



#1:     Sherlock Jr. (1924)

Simply Amazing, Talk about having guts, Keaton is famous for doing all his own amazing stunts. 


#2:   Great Escape (1963)

Everyone knows that Steve McQueen was and is the best motorcycle actor to ever grace the silver screen. 


#3: James Bond: Skyfall (2013)


I would have loved to be there when they were filming this in the Grand Bazar

#4 Escape to Athena (1979)
Note: you have got to love the scream from the guy falling from the tower, I believe that is the Wilhelm scream made famous by Star Wars and Indian Jones.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream


#5: Indiana Jones -

Note: Just so you know I have tried the umbrella bird thing, it works fairly well. Also if you haven't seen it Myth-busters tested the whole pole in the spokes thing and it doesn't exactly make your bike flip over, but it will mess you up!






Here is a video clip on the making of the new motorcycle scene in Jurassic World.


IF you have a favorite not mentioned in this blog post please email us your reference at longridesheidls@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment